CIS Cybersecurity, Associate of Applied Science
Cybersecurity has emerged as a unique profession specializing in the technologies, processes and practices designed to protect networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access.
The cybersecurity profession combines knowledge and skills from disciplines such as computer science, information technology, criminal justice, psychology, and business, along with specialized topics unique to cybersecurity.
Earn a Cybersecurity Associate of Applied Science degree!
• Specialize in cybersecurity while learning about computing.
• Increase your understanding of robust cyber defense technology.
• Utilize computer technology to address information system needs with security in mind.
• Analyze common security vulnerabilities and apply appropriate security controls.
Students must complete a minimum of 95 credit hours with a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or better. Twenty-four (24) credits must be completed at Southwestern before the degree is awarded. All courses must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better.
Complete the graduation application process one term prior to the term of completion (e.g., spring term graduates must apply during winter term).
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify cybersecurity practices to mitigate threats that originating inside and outside of an organization.
- Analyze common security vulnerabilities and apply appropriate security controls.
- Demonstrate ability to plan and implement both wired and wireless networks sufficient for home or small business use.
- Research, interpret, and communicate technical information in written, graphic, diagrammatic, electronic, and oral forms.
- Design an appropriate risk analysis for a business in a given environment.
Students must take the following prerequisites:
|CIS120||Concepts of Computing||4|
|MTH98||Math Literacy (or placement in a higher math course)||4|
|or MTH95||Intermediate Algebra|
|WR90R||Academic Literacy (or placement in a higher writing course)||4|
|CIS185||Introduction To Cyber Security||3|
|CJ100||Intro to Criminal Justice||4|
|CS160||Computer Science Orientation||4|
|PE231||Wellness for Life 3||3|
|CIS140U||Intro to Operating Systems: Unix||4|
|CJ101||Intro to Criminology||4|
|CIS152||Network Routing & Switching Config||4|
|WR115||Fundamentals of Report Writing 2||4|
|MTH105||Math in Society 6||4|
|CS133WS||Computer Language I: Web Scripting||4|
|MTH243||Intro to Probability and Statistics||4|
|BA285||Human Relations in Organizations 7||3|
|CIS285||Cyber Security Essentials||4|
|CS195||Web Development I||3|
|SP111||Fundamentals of Public Speaking 5||3|
|PSY202||General Psychology 1||3|
|CIS286||Cyber Security Operations I||4|
|CIS287||Cyber Security Operations II||4|
|CIS280||CWE: Computer Information Systems||4|
|CIS297||IT Professional Capstone||4|
|Specific Elective 4||4|
All honors may substitute for their equivalent requirements.