The Career Pathway Certificate of Completion: Database Programming is a less than one year certificate that includes Computer Science and SQL/Database core subjects. This certificate is intended for students focused on gaining skills to becoming employable. Student completing this certificate will be prepared to seek entry-level employment in occupations involving databases, networking, data collection, or data mining and software development.
Click here to learn how this Career Pathway Certificate can lead to an AAS in CIS Software Development.
Students must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or better. All courses must be passed with a grade of ‘C’ or better. One course must be completed at Southwestern before the Career Pathway Certificate of Completion: Database Programming degree is awarded.
Complete the graduation application process one term prior to the term of completion (e.g., spring term graduates must apply during winter term).
Students are required to take the following courses prior to the program courses, depending on students' college placement information. See advisor for details:
|CIS90||Computer Basics (or demonstrate proficiency)||2|
|WR90||Paragraph Fundamentals (or placement in higher writing course)||3-4|
|or WR90R||Academic Literacy|
|CS160||Computer Science Orientation||4|
|MTH86||Computer Technology Mathematics||4|
|CS161||Introduction to Computer Science I||4|
|CS162||Introduction to Computer Science II||4|
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program the student will be able to:
- Plan, write and debug software applications within multiple programming environments.
- Design, administer, and maintain a database.
- Apply project life cycle concepts to assist in finding solutions to business needs.
- Research, interpret, and communicate technical information in written, graphic, diagrammatic, electronic and oral forms.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently or in a group environment with sensitivity to needs of customers and coworkers.