Baking and Pastry Arts, Certificate of Completion
The Certificate of Completion Baking and Pastry Arts provides a broad foundation of baking and pastry theory and practical training necessary for success in the food service industry. Students will learn the art of creating tasty baked goods, pastries, and confections, from traditional bread baking to beautiful showpieces. Students will also learn to use sugar, syrups, icings and chocolate. Prepares students for an entry-level baking position such as a pastry cook or baker in a bakery, restaurant, hotel or resort.
For application and fee information, contact OCCI Admissions at 541-888-7195.
Students must complete a minimum of 73 credit hours with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or better. All courses must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better. One course must be completed at Southwestern before the Certificate of Completion Baking and Pastry Arts is awarded.
Complete the graduation application process one term prior to the term of completion (e.g., spring term graduates must apply during winter term).
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Prepare yeast-raised products to include breads, yeast-leavened pastries to include laminated doughs, breakfast pastries and leavened cakes.
- Prepare a variety of cakes, fillings and icings to include chemical and mechanical leavening techniques.
- Prepare a variety of egg- and dairy-based products, fried baked goods, and a variety of pastry products to include but not limited to meringue, fritters, and pies.
- Identify, select and demonstrate the use of various chocolates and sugar and the common uses for the decoration processes.
- List and explain the application of mixes and other convenience products pertaining to the baking process.
- Describe and apply the principles of nutrition to maximize nutrient retention in baking preparation.
- Obtain ServSafe Certification.
|CRT2015||Sanitation and Safety for Managers||3|
|CRT2031||Bakery and Pastry Fundamentals||6|
|CRT2032||Baking and Pastry Fundamentals II||7|
|CRT2016||Culinary Nutrition 1||3|
|CRT2027||Introduction to Sugar||1|
|CRT2033||Classic and Contemporary Cakes||4|
|CRT2040||Culinary Arts for Baking and Pastry||6|
|CRT2007||Inventory Control and Purchasing||1|
|CRT2017||Restaurant Management Supervision||3|
|CRT2018||Culinary Arts Career Planning||1|
|CRT2026||Dessert Menu Development||1|
|CRT2034||Advanced Sugar and Chocolate||2|
|CRT280B2||CWE: Baking and Pastry Arts||12|
All Honors courses may substitute for their equivalent requirements.